Susnguakti is the name of a forest in lower montane region of Arfak mountains. It is a great site for nature lovers to watch birds of paradise and wild animals. It can be reached from Manokwari city by car.
|A couple of Lesser Birds of Paradise in Susnguakto forest of Arfak mountains|
Manokwari regency - West Papua province - Indonesia
Birds that can be watched in this forest include Lesser Birds of Paradise (Paradisaea minor), King Bird of Paradise (Cicinnurus regius) and Magnificent Riflebird (Ptiloris magnificus), Red-bellied Pitta, Hooded Pitta, Black-billed Cuckoo Dove, Brown Cuckoo Dove, Pink-spotted Fruit Dove, Western Ornate Fruit Dove, Hooded Butcherbird, Yellow-billed Kingfisher, Rufous-bellied Kookburra, Common Paradise Kingfisher, Frilled Monarch, Golden Cuckooshrike, Papuan Spangled Drongo, Fairy Lorikeet, Coconut Lorikeet, Black-capped Lory, Papuan Frogmouth, Blyth's Hornbill, and etc.
- Meeting with tour participants in Manokwari city
- Transfer to Susnguakti by car (1 hour)
- Hiking to basecamp (1 hour)
- Watching Lesser Birds of Paradise (first attempt)
- Night walk
- Wake up at 05:00, make preparation, have tea or coffee, walk to birding site of Lesser Birds of Paradise.
- Continue to the site of King Bird of Paradise
- Explore the forest to see various kinds of birds, insects (beetles, butterflies), reptiles as well as unique tropical plants.
- Night walk to fins possum and nocturnal animals.
- Wake up early in the morning to watch Magnificent Riflebird which is another species of birds of paradise.
- Explore forest to see more plants and animals
- After lunch, we will pack our things and walk down the mountains. We will return to Manokwari city.
|Natural Attractions of Susnguakti Forest|
In addition to birds the forest of Susnguakti is the habitat of snakes, butterflies and beetles.
Visitors can follow trails during the days and nights to see plants and animals of the forest. During night walks, local villagers can immitate the calls of a female cuscus possum to attract the male ones. When a male possum comes down from a tree, visitors can take pictures. During the day, visitors can go to the nearby stream to enjoy the cool water that comes out of the stones of the forest.
|Cuscus Possum is a nocturnal animal in the rainforest of West Papua|
There are butterflies, beetles, grasshopper, cicada, fireflies, and other unique insects in the forest. Visitors can see them when staying for a few days in the jungle camp of Susnguakti forest. Colourful butterflies of Arfak mountains can be seen in this forest.
|Butterflies can be watched and photographed in Susnguakti forest|
As of today, most of the visitors who go to Susnguakti forest will stay in a basecamp as described in the following pictures.
|A simple basecamp in the forest of Susnguakti for visitors to stay for a few days to watch birds of paradise and other wildlife.|
|Dome tents for tourists in Susnguakti forest|
How to get to Manokwari city
International visitors need to fly to one of the major cities in Indonesia such as Jakarta, Denpasar, Surabaya, Makassar, or Manado. After that they can continue their trip to Manokwari city. I can meet you at the airport or at the hotel where you stay and organize your trip to Susnguakti forest.
|Flight Routes from major cities in Indonesia to Manokwari city|
To book your trip to Susnguakti forest, please, contact me by email to: email@example.com or by whatsapp to: +6281332245180.
I could also organize a trip for you to Sorong, Tambrauw, Raja Ampat, Kaimana or even to Java and Bali, Sulawesi and Halmahera of Indonesia.
Post a Comment